I don’t believe in new year resolutions. When I resolve to achieve something I just do it without looking at the calendar to check if it is January 1st. Well, it is January 2018 and I chose to list 18 things that can make us better people – both personally and professionally.
- Read a lot – Aim to read atleast one book every month. One fiction and one on Public Relations alternatively.
- Write more – Write a 300-word blog every week. You will see how the quality of your writing improves in five months.
- Travel widely – Aim to visit one Indian city and one foreign city during the course of the year. Try and travel on Indian Railways to the Indian city.
- Support a cause – Join a non-profit or support a cause. Choose from environment protection, animal rights, child education or any other.
- Keep fit – Do yoga, join a gym, go for a daily jog, try swimming once a week. There are so many options to pick from.
- Eat right – We are what we eat. I have learnt it the hard way and am working my way around it.
- Donate generously – Support a charity or a social campaign and donate 1% of your salary every month at the least.
- Save money – Try and save atleast 25% of what you earn, and this does not include the EMI on your home loan.
- Enjoy calm – Meditate, listen to music, relax doing nothing, spend time with your family. Live in the present.
- Speak the truth – Ethics in everyday life are at stake. Take the lead by being honest in everything you say and do.
- Mentor a fellow professional – Offer your time in a dedicated manner to someone in need or if you are new to the profession, find a mentor for yourself.
- Share knowledge – Create learning sessions on a regular basis where you pick a topic for an in-depth discussion with peers.
- Learn something new – It could be a language, a new area of expertise or a course on public speaking. All this will come a long way in your career growth.
- Avoid office politics – You can only get into office politics if you allow yourself to be dragged into it. Be firm that you are there to get your job done.
- Meet a new professional outside office every month – Try and connect with someone outside the realm of your work for an enriching conversation.
- Learn the difference between an agency and a consultancy – Stop calling the PR firm an agency because they do not work on commissions.
- Realise that Public Relations is much more than media relations – Stop getting confused with these two as they are not interchangeable.
- Invest in attending a trade event at least once in the year – There are at least half a dozen you can attend. If you are not sure which one, DM me at @amithpr before January 29th and I will give you a discount code to PRAXIS.