Since I have never featured a listicle in the column, I thought now is a good time to explore an idea which stemmed from 2020, the year of change and the year for shifts in our approaches to climate change, politics, healthcare, technology, real estate, development, fashion and more, at least for me, I am on a conscious effort to clean up my act and leverage my voice and platforms to be the change.
So in context of Forward Leap, here are twenty leadership things I plan to implement for myself and see it through so I can by the end of the year look back and feel that this year was one channelled in the right direction for change.
So, I decided to write this as a letter to myself and here’s a sneak peek into what I told myself…
Your 2019 was interesting to say the least and you ended up doing a lot of things, things that helped you learn and grow, fail and get back again. You managed to start a lot of things and a lot of them saw good closures too. Work was challenging and rewarding and the journey, while it was tiring, has hopefully helped you plan your life and work better. As someone who is so full of enthusiastic energy and the need and desire to keep doing more, here’s a list of things to keep in mind as you chart the progress for 2020.
- Be the change you want to see
- Practice what you preach
- Live life on your own terms
- Manage time better
- Stick to priorities and not wander
- Use your voice
- Don’t be dejected by rejection
- Don’t indulge in conversations that aren’t relevant or don’t add value
- Prepare better for crisis situations
- Deal with conflict and confrontation calmly and nicely
- Use anger to channelise outcomes in the right manner
- Learn and implement from all the mistakes in the past
- Don’t let the past cloud the future in any way
- Listen to people who matter and mean well and take feedback which will help build you up
- Ignore the naysayers and the negative as they usually tend to bog you down
- Embrace each day as it comes and engage in activities that you are passionate about
- Find joy and purpose in all that you do and be aware of your strengths and weaknesses
- Leverage your strengths and work on your weaknesses
- Slow down and calm down and give yourself space to breathe
- Be a leader who empowers, elevates and enlightens
You can be vulnerable and give yourself days to recover and heal because often, we don’t give ourselves the time to get past our misgivings and our bad days.
If you want to be all that you are and more, invest in yourself and your growth and give willingly and work relentlessly for a better today and tomorrow.
Much rests on what you do for you and when you are of sound mind and body, you can then do more for those around you.
An introspective you
So, here you go, this is my list and I hope it gives you ideas to make yours. Let me know or write into me and tell me what you plan to do for yourself as a better person and leader and what you planned up your sleeve for 2020…
The views and opinions published here belong to the author and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of the publisher.